Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 121-47
Location: E of Hephzibah and US 1 on Liberty Church Rd S of Browns Rd
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 19.222    W 082° 2.269
  33.32037    -82.03782
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7AF4
Liberty Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Liberty, which evolved out of a Methodist society organized about 1775, is Georgia`s oldest Methodist Church. The original log church was erected west of here by Samuel Collins who, in 1773, had emigrated from Ireland. The present church building is the third on the site and was probably erected about 1810. The first church was called the Sam Collins or S.C. Church. It was begun ten years before the traditional date for the beginning of organized Methodism in Georgia. Bishop Frances Asbury visited the church March 1, 1790.

GHM 121-47 Georgia Historical Commission 1971



Liberty Methodist Church
Liberty Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-47