Historic Markers Across Georgia



White House Tract



Marker ID: GHM 121-48
Location: 1822 Broad St, Augusta, GA, at Harris House
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 29.069    W 081° 59.653
  33.48448    -81.99421
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7AC2
White House Tract Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The 500-acres parcel of land long known as the `White House Tract` witnessed many of Augusta`s most significant historical events. On this tract an Indian trading company known as MacKay´s Trading Post, or the White House, flourished. Around this establishment the bitter 1st Siege of Augusta raged for four days in September 1780. The unsuccessful Patriots under Col. Elijah Clarke had to leave some wounded behind. Some of these had broken their paroles and were executed by Col. Thomas Brown. The White House Tract was divided into lots and became the town of Harrisburg which was eventually absorbed by Augusta. On the northern end of the tract near where the White House stood, the first Augusta Arsenal was built in 1819, and the Augusta Canal was built across it in 1843. This canal provided power for three textile mills and the Confederate Powder Works built on the White House Tract.

One of the most lasting of monuments built on the tract is the Harris-Pearson-Walker House, c. 1797, which was restored in the 1950`s

GHM 121-48 Georgia Historical Commission 1978



 

 

121-48