Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia's First School of Medicine



Marker ID: GHM 121-49
Location: 124 Greene Street, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.08    W 081° 57.097
  33.468    -81.95162
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7A7D
Georgia's First School of Medicine Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The property on which the Widows Home is located was the site of Augusta`s first City Hospital. Constructed in 1818, the hospital provided for the `sick poor` of Augusta and later evolved into the present University Hospital. At City Hospital, Georgia`s first school of medicine opened its doors as Medical Academy of Georgia on October 1, 1829. This location served as an academic facility until 1835, when the school, then renamed the Medical College of Georgia, was moved to the building standing at the corner of 6th and Telfair Streets.

GHM 121-49 Georgia Historic Mark 1981
er



Georgia's First School of Medicine
Georgia's First School of Medicine
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-49