Historic Markers Across Georgia



De L'Aigle Brick Yard



Marker ID: WPA 1 A-11
Location: At Magnolia Cemetery driveway, north wall of administration building, on Walton Way at 3rd Street, Augusta, GA.
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 27.857    W 081° 57.441
  33.46428333    -81.95735
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7A75
De L'Aigle Brick Yard Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

In 1808, Nicholas de L´ Aigle, a French refugee, established the brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building brick for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right consistency in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with mule-power, and hand-moulded into bricks which were air-dried, built into kilns, and fired. Many old houses in Augusta and elsewhere in Georgia and the Carolinas are built of these bricks.



De Laigle Brick Yards
De L'Aigle Brick Yard
Photo by David Seibert



 

121-A19