Historic Markers Across Georgia



Colonial Fort Augusta



Marker ID: GSCD 
Location: on the grounds of St Pauls Church 6th and Reynolds Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.581    W 081° 57.657
  33.47635    -81.96095
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: WM7AG9
Colonial Fort Augusta Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Front Side:
This stone marks the site of the Colonial Fort Augusta, built by order of General Oglethorpe and the trustees in 1736; and known during the Revolution as Fort Cornwallis. St Paul´s Church was built in 1750, under a curtain of this fort.
Reverse Side:

Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America, November 1901.

Virtutes Majorum Filiae Conservant




Colonial Fort Augusta
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Sponsor: Georgia Society of Colonial Dames of America

 

121-A27