Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Rotary club of Augustine



Marker ID:  
Location: 744 Broad St. , Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.496    W 081° 57.893
  33.47493333    -81.96488333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
The Rotary club of Augustine Marker
Photo by Todd Massar



Text:

The Rotary club of Augustine


September 23, 1914, the Rotary Club of Augustine met for the first time in the former Albion Hotel, located here. Organized by attorney James M. Hull and local businessman, the club promotes fellowship and service. Rotary began in Chicago in 1905 and supports community and economic development projects at home and abroad. The Augusta club sponsored the formation of four other Rotary clubs in the area. Over the years, the Augusta club established a Christmas Cheer fund, brought Boy Scouts and Junior Achievements to Augusta and has provided loans and scholarships to worthy college students. World peace, promotion of literacy, and the eradication of polio, Alzheimer's disease and unsanitary living conditions have been major initiatives supported by Rotarians through the Rotary International Foundation.

Erected by the Rotary club of Augustine in recognition of the 100th Anniversary
of its founding, September 23, 2014



 

 

121-A37