Historic Markers Across Georgia



Haines Normal and Industrial Institute



Marker ID: GHS 121-14
Location: in front of Laney High School at the intersection of Laney Walker Blvd and Phillips St in Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.007    W 081° 58.930
  33.46678333    -81.98216666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM78VY
Haines Normal and Industrial Institute Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Established by influential educator Lucy Craft Laney, the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute was chartered in 1886 and grew to include a Kindergarten to Junior College curriculum, the Lamar School of Nursing, and a teacher training program. Named for a benefactor Francine Haines, the Institute also served the African-American community as cultural center before its replacement in 1949 with the present Laney High School. The Cauley-Wheeler Building (1924), located in the center of campus, housed the primary school and was named for philanthropist Alice Wheeler of New York and her nurse Mary Cauley, a Lamar graduate. It is the last remaining building from the original Haines Campus.

Georgia Historical Society and the
2009.1 Haines Alumni Association, Inc. 121-14




Haines Normal and Industrial Institute
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS14