Historic Markers Across Georgia



Thankful Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 121-16
Location: On Walker St at 3rd St, Augusta, GA.
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.027    W 081° 57.379
  33.46711666    -81.95631666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF17G
Thankful Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Markerman



Text:

Thankful Baptist Church was founded on April 26, 1840 under the name "Independent" in an area of Augusta known as "Pinched Gut". It was the first daughter church established out of Springfield Baptist Church who emerged from the Silver Bluff Baptist Church, one of the oldest African American churches in the country. On May 13, 1898, civil rights activist Dr. W.E.B. DuBois spoke at Thankful and during the civil rights era Thankful was active in organizing non-violent protests for racial equality. Over the years, Thankful has given life to other churches including Macedonia Baptist Church in Augusta. Thankful Baptist Church was added to the national register of historical places in 1980.

Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Thankful Baptist Church and
2011.8 Lucy Craft Laney Museum 121-16



 

 

121-HS16