Historic Markers Across Georgia



Trinity CME "Mother Trinity"



Marker ID: GHS 121-
Location: 818 8th Street, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.005    W 081° 58.128
  33.46675    -81.9688
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Trinity CME
"Mother Trinity"


Trinity Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (CME) was established in 1840 as a separate congregation by African-American members of St. John Methodist Episcopal Church-South. Here, at Trinity's original location, three bishops were elected at the 1873 CME General Convention, including Lucius H. Holsey, a primary founder of Augusta's Paine College. Trinity continued to produce influential congregants, both locally and nationally, including Trinity pastor Henry Sebastian Doyle, a controversial but influential leader of Negro Populism, an agrarian-populist movement of the late nineteenth century. Other prominent members included John Wesley Gilbert, the first African-American faculty member of Paine College, and NAACP Chairman Channing Tobias, who instituted the CME name change from "Colored Methodist Episcopal" to "Christian Methodist Episcopal" in 1954. Due to soil contamination, Trinity's congregation relocated to the Glenn Hills Community in 2001.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Trinity CME Church,
and Lucy Craft Laney Museum of Black History



 
Notes:

Dedicated October 7, 2016

 

121-HS19