Historic Markers Across Georgia



Church of the Most Holy Trinity



Marker ID: GHS 121-3
Location: 720 Telfair Street, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.312    W 081° 57.994
  33.47186    -81.96657
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6XNE
Church of the Most Holy Trinity Marker  



Text:

Church of the Most Holy Trinity


The current sanctuary was constructed from 1857-63 and is one of the oldest Catholic Church buildings in Georgia. It was designed by J.R. Niernsee, architect of the State House in Columbia, South Carolina. The original 1814 structure served as the Sisters of Mercy hospital and orphanage during the Yellow Fever epidemics of 1839 and 1854. It was again used as their hospital during the Civil War. Father Abram Ryan (1838-1886), `poet-priest of the Confederacy,` edited The Banner of the South, a Catholic weekly, while serving as pastor of the church during the Civil War.






2000.6 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and

the Parish of the Church of the Most Holy Trinity.
121.3



 

Church of the Most Holy Trinity


 

121-HS3