Historic Markers Across Georgia



Spirit Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 121-4
Location: 1783 Dixon Airline Road, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 23.05    W 081° 59.935
  33.38416    -81.99892
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7ACE
Spirit Creek Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In July 1800, this church was organized in a canebrake on Spirit Creek by slaves on the Twiggs plantation. The Reverend J.W. Sutton served as the first pastor. In July 1868, the church purchased 14 ½ acres here on Butler Creek and moved to this location. The current and second sanctuary on this site was constructed in 1931. Among the influential pastors who have presided here are Peter Johnson, Frank Beal, Daniel McHorton, and A.W. Vincent. The church was a charter member of Ebenezer Baptist Association and parent church of Corinth Baptist Church.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and Spirit Creek Baptist Church

2000.5 Georgia Historical Society 121-4



Spirit Creek Baptist Church
Spirit Creek Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS4