Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stoney Nurses Home of the Lamar School of Nursing



Marker ID: GHS 121.5
Location: R.A. Dent Blvd. and Saint Sebastian Way, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.12    W 081° 59.084
  33.46867    -81.98474
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM78V8
Stoney Nurses Home of the Lamar School of Nursing Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This building, named for Dr. George N. Stoney, a prominent local black physician, opened in 1909 to house students of Lamar School of Nursing. The school, founded in 1897 by Lucy Craft Laney and Dr. William H. Dought, was one of the first mursing schools for blacks in the South and trained students for work at Lamar Hospital, which opened in 1895 for black patients. The building was vacated in 1955 when the school was disbanded, though black nurses continued traiing at University Hospital. It is presetnly occupied by the Medical College of Georgia School of Nursing.

2001.13 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Medical College of Georgia, and 121.5
Lamar School of Nursing Alumnae Association



Stoney Nurses Home of the Lamar School of Nursing
Stoney Nurses Home of the Lamar School of Nursing
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS5