Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Ebenezer Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 121-7
Location: Ebeneezer Rd. at Windsor Spring Rd. north of Hepzibah
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 19.307    W 082° 5.712
  33.321781    -82.095197
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7AFT
First Ebenezer Baptist Church  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This congregation began when a handful of slaves gathered for services on the Rhodes Plantation in August 1812. In 1851 Absalom A. Rhodes sold a quarter acre of land here for two dollars to the deacon board of Ebenezer Baptist Church. The fifty-six-member congregation joined the Georgia Baptist Association in 1867. First Ebenezer´s leadership in the Association was paramount in forming the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, the first African-American convention. Two new congregations have sprung from First Ebenezer: Second Ebenezer Baptist Church and Spring Grove Baptist Church.

Georgia Historical Society and
2003.9 First Ebenezer Baptist Church 121-7



First Ebenezer Baptist Church
First Ebenezer Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS7