Historic Markers Across Georgia



Augusta State University



Marker ID: GHS 121-8
Location: on University Hall lawn, ASU, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.692    W 082° 1.381
  33.478197    -82.02301
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM78NC
Augusta State University Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Augusta State University traces its roots to 1783 when its parent institution, the Academy of Richmond County, was chartered. Offering college-level classes to prepare students for admission into universities as sophomores or juniors, the Academy performed the role of today´s community college. A fifth year of high school, added in 1909, and a sixth year in 1925, were chartered as the Junior College of Augusta. The Junior College and Academy shared space until 1957 when the College moved to this location. The following year its name was changed to Augusta College when it joined the University System of Georgia. In 1996, it became Augusta State University.

2004.6 Georgia Historical Society 121-8
and The Augusta State University Foundation




Augusta State University
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS8