Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)



Marker ID: GHS 121-9
Location: 629 Greene St., Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.364    W 081° 57.840
  33.47273333    -81.964
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7A2X
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Marker  



Text:

First Christian Church
(Disciples of Christ)< strong>


The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) began in Kentucky in the early years of the nineteenth century. Dr. Daniel Hook and Captain and Mrs. Edward Campfield established Augusta´s First Christian Church in 1835, despite great suspicion and negativity from more established Protestant denominations. Philanthropist Emily Tubman aided the fledgling congregation by donating the first building (later Tubman High School for girls), convincing Georgia lawyer James S. Lamar to study and to become the church´s pastor in 1852, and donating new buildings for the church´s relocation to Greene and McIntosh Streets in 1874. Restoration of the structure began in 1989.





2005.3 Georgia Historical Society and the
Congregation of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
121-9



First Christian Church
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-HS9