Historic Markers Across Georgia



Conyers Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 122-2
Location: At the church on Main Street, Conyers
County: Rockdale
Coordinates: N 33° 40.173    W 084° 1.129
  33.66955698    -84.01882351
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6EAM
Conyers Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

Conyers Methodist Church was organized in 1852 by Rev. John L. Stewart, Rev. Joel Stansell, Rev. David T. White. The present building, fourth on the site, was dedicated in 1902 by Bishop Warren A. Candler and Rev. M. L. Troutman, pastor. This church has always fostered good citizenship. In 1857 after a political meeting on the grounds a newspaper reported, ´Alexander H. Stephens delivered a great speech that day.´ A Women´s Foreign Missionary Society was organized in 1878, one of ten required in each conference for charter. Two missionaries -- Rev. D. L. Anderson to China in 1882 and Miss Layona Glenn to Brazil in 1894 -- and one minister, Rev. A. Lee Hale, ordained in 1920, have been given by this church.

GHM 122-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

122-2