Historic Markers Across Georgia



Center Point Park



Marker ID:  
Location: Located near downtown Conyers by the Depot.
County: Rockdale
Coordinates: N 33° 40.003    W 084° 1.129
  33.666717    -84.018817
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6Z4C
Center Point Park Marker  



Text:

This site marks the original center of the City of Conyers, Georgia. On Febuary 16, 1854, Conyers was incorporated by the legialature providing a boundary line of one-half mile radius from this point located next to the original Conyers depot.

Originally known as "Conyers Station", a watering stop-over for steam locomotives, Conyers was named for Dr. W. D. Conyers of Covington, Georgia. The first mayor was Col. J.C. Barton.

This park was dedicated by mayor and council on October 21, 1979.

Charles C. Walker Mayor
Council:
Troy A. Athon
David H Smith
Bill V. Spivey
Joe M. Towns Jr
Norman Wheeler
J.A. Young Jr



 

Center Point Park


 

122-A2