Historic Markers Across Georgia



Schley County



Marker ID: GHM 123-1
Location: Courthouse in Ellaville
County: Schley
Coordinates: N 32° 14.265    W 084° 18.534
  32.23775584    -84.30889466
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7MW9
Schley County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This county, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 22, 1857, is named for William Schley, member of Congress 1833-35 and Governor 1835-37. Ellaville is named for Ella Burton, daughter of Robert Burton, who sold the land for the town site. Nearby Pond Town was settled in 1812.

First county officers were: Ordinary Wm. J. May, Clerk Hiram L. French, Sheriff A.J. Womach, Tax Receiver Henry Scarborough, Tax Collect Henry D. Holt, Coroner Ben T. Smith, Representative Seaborn Hixon, State Senator Charles Edwards, Inferior Court Judges Johnson Springer, Jas. Murray, Robt. Burton, G.W. Johnson, R.W. Wilkinson.

GHM 123-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Schley Co. Courthouse
Schley County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

123-1