Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pond Town



Marker ID: Schley County 
Location: In Ellaville city cemetery, south of town on US 19
County: Schley
Coordinates: N 32° 13.929    W 084° 18.519
  32.23214203    -84.30864236
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7MWV
Pond Town Marker  



Text:

Pond town, named for its proximity to several ponds, had beginnings as a relay station for the stagecoach line which ran from Hamburg to Preston. Some say white men were living in the area as early as 1808, certainly by 1812.

Located on the border between Sumter and Marion counties, Pond town became a lively little community with horse racing and whiskey drinking as favorite amusements. A post office was established in 1833 with Lovett B. Smith as postmaster.

In 1840 there was a migration of some 20 families to Mississippi which almost depopulated Pond Town. At this date there was as yet no church building. a Baptist congregation was organized in 1843.

Schley county was formed in 1857 and a central site chosen for the county seat. This site, Ellaville, was 1/2 mile north of Pond town. Ellaville`s charter in 1859 effectively sealed Pond town`s fate, and several families moved their houses to the new site.

Today the site of Pond Town is occupied by the city cemetery.

Erected by Schley County



 

 

123-A1