Historic Markers Across Georgia



Louisville Road



Marker ID: GHM 124-12
Location: At Cooperville (Dover), US 301 at Ga 17
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 35.455    W 081° 42.26
  32.59092    -81.70434
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7ZHW
Louisville Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This road was established pursuant to an Act passed by the Colonial Assembly April 2nd, 1770. It connected the early settlement of Queensboro, at the head of Ogeechee River navigation, with Savannah. It became one of the most important stage and post routes in the state when Louisville was the Capital. On September 16th, 1777, the State Assembly named the first Board of Commissioners for its exclusive maintenance. They were Robert Dixon, Thomas Mills, Abraham Mincey, William Blackman and John Mizell.

GHM 124-12 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

124-12