Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cooperville



Marker ID: GHM 124-13
Location: US 301 and Ga 17 at Old Cooperville (Dover)
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 35.456    W 081° 42.262
  32.59093    -81.70436
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7ZHZ
Cooperville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This village was a center of religious educational and social activity for Southeast Georgia prior to the War Between the States. It was established by William Cooper about 1790 when he acquired the 1100 acres originally granted to Nobel Jones. His home, later added to by his brother, George Cooper, stood about 1/2 mile west of this marker.

The village was the home of Wilson C. Cooper, the educator who established Cooper College 1/4 mile east; George Cooper, the Second, inventor of the `Cooper plow`; William Cooper, the Baptist minister whose imposing home was near this marker; Dr. T.B. Cooper, the educator and Baptist minister; and J. Randolph Cooper, the Confederate officer.

GHM 124-13 Georgia Historical Commission 1996




Cooperville
Photo by Ken Moser



 

124-13