Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Quaker Road - Missing



Marker ID: GHM 124-17
Location: US 301 at Ga 24 at Jacksonboro, 11 miles north of Sylvania
County: Screven
Coordinates:   
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The route bearing left follows closely the course of the Old Quaker Road, one of Georgia`s earliest vehicular thoroughfares. It was opened about 1769 to provide a direct highway from Savannah, the colonial capital, to a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today`s upper McDuffie County.

This road was one of the longest and most important in the Province of Georgia. Much of the original way remains in daily use.



 
Notes:

Missing - may have been removed for road construction