Historic Markers Across Georgia



British Headquarters



Marker ID: GHM 124-2
Location: Ga 21 in Newington
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 35.333    W 081° 30.185
  32.58888    -81.50309
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7XQ0
British Headquarters Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Near Hudson`s Ferry, about four miles east of Newington, General Augustine Prevost in command of 4000 British regulars made headquarters and constructed redoubts in February, 1779. The complete occupation of Georgia was directed and effected from this point.

General Prevost, cleverly masking his troop movements, left Hudson`s Ferry March 1st, 1779 with 1500 of His Majesty`s best troops. He encircled General Ashe`s Continentals and North Carolina Militia of 2300 men at the Freeman-Miller Bridge, attacked them from the rear and practically destroyed them.

GHM 124-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

124-2