Historic Markers Across Georgia



Brick (Bethel) Church



Marker ID: GHM 124-20
Location: About 2 miles northwest of US 301 on road to Girard
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 57.914    W 081° 32.54
  32.96524    -81.54234
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7WEC
Brick (Bethel) Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Dec. 5, 1827 the Rev. Peyton L. Wade conveyed to John Green, John H. Smith, Robert W. Lovett, Richard Herringtom, Sr., Jacob Lewis, Elijah Roberts and John H. Nessmith, Trustees, two and three quarter acres of land on which to build a Methodist Episcopal Church to be known as `Brick Church.` Construction was started immediately. The building now on the site is the original. `Brick Church` was a successor to Lessing`s Meeting House, a log building, on nearby Rocky Creek at Scott`s Spring. Rev. John Crawford, who died in 1822, was the founder of Methodism in this community. His widow, Sarah Maner Crawford, married the Rev. Wade in 1823.


GHM 124-20 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



Brick (Bethel) Church
Brick (Bethel) Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

124-20A