Historic Markers Across Georgia



Middle Ground Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 124-22
Location: Middleground Church Rd off Sheppards Switch Rd E of Ga 21
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 38.449    W 081° 31.578
  32.64081    -81.5263
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Middle Ground Baptist Church was constituted July 24, 1827, by the following members; Rev. Moses N. McCall, John R. Thompson, Samuel Newton, George W. Best, Ann Newton, Rhoda Thompson and Alley Anderson. John R. Thompson was the first Deacon and Samuel Newton was the first Clerk.

The Baptist Middle Association was formed here May 28, 1841, with the following delegates present; John R. Thompson from Middle Ground; John Edwards, and Joseph C. Edwards from Cowpen Branch; John L. Southwell, Hardy Everitt, Isaac Conner, John M. Lucas, Thomas Brewer and George Brewer from Little Ogeechee; William Spiers, James Wilson, and Archibald Guyton from New Providence; and George L. Jackson and David Stewart from Newington. John L. Southwell was elected Moderator, and Barnett Newton, Clerk.

GHM 124-22 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

124-22