Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sherman's Advance



Marker ID: GHM 124-24A
Location: Ga 17 at Cameron, 3 miles southeast of US 301/Ga 73
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 34.258    W 081° 39.647
  32.57096666    -81.66078333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7ZJ6
Sherman's Advance Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On the night of Dec. 4, 1864, Hd. Military Division of the Mississippi, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, and Hq. 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair, USA were established at this point, 1 miles NE of Cameron (Station No. 5-1/2, CRR) and 1 mile S of Paris Hill Academy.

Hq. Right Wing (?Howard) and Hq. 15th Corps (Osterhaus) were across the Ogeechee River beyond Cameron. Hq. Left Wing (Slocum) and Hq. 20th Corps (Williams) were on the Middle Ground road S of Sylvania. Hq. 14th Corps was near Jacksonboro, on the old Augusta-Savannah road N of Sylvania.

Next day, Gen. Sherman advanced to Oliver where a Confederate force was entrenching.

GHM 124-24A Georgia Historical Commission 1958




Sherman's Advance
Photo by Ken Moser



 

124-24A