Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Goodall House



Marker ID: GHM 124-5
Location: US 301 at Ga 24 at Jacksonboro, 5.5 miles north of Sylvania
County: Screven
Coordinates: N 32° 49.641    W 081° 37.337
  32.82735    -81.62228
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MPY
The Goodall House Marker  



Text:

The two story frame dwelling 200 yards west, built in 1815 by Seaborn Goodall, is all that is left of old Jacksonboro. In it, in 1821, the itinerant preacher Lorenzo Dow found refuge when he was attacked by the rowdies of the town, whom he had denounced for immorality. Goodall, a Godly man, rescued Dow. Standing on the bridge over the nearby creek, Dow cursed the town but asked God to bless Goodall and his home.

GHM 124-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

124-5