Historic Markers Across Georgia



Seminole County



Marker ID: GHM 125-1
Location: Courthouse in Donalsonville
County: Seminole
Coordinates: N 31° 2.511    W 084° 53.066
  31.04184253    -84.88443671
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMBKPQ
Seminole County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This county, created by Act of the Legislature July 8, 1920, is named for the Seminole Indians. Members of the Creek Confederacy, the Seminoles (meaning `separatist`) left the main body in Georgia and settled in Florida. After two bloody wars in 1817-`18 and 1835-`42, under Osceola, the majority were moved to western reservations but several hundred escaped to the Everglades where the tribe still dwells. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff J.M. Richardson, Clerk of Superior Court C.L. Reynolds, Ordinary J.H. Goodwin, Tax Collector W.O. Hodges, Treasurer R.T. Bolton, Coroner Jessie E. Yates and Surveyor W.H. Hickson.

GHM 125-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Seminole County Courthouse
Seminole County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

125-1