Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Paving



Marker ID: GHM 126-10
Location: Old US 41 (College Road) southeast of Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 11.851    W 084° 13.058
  33.19752271    -84.21763115
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GQ3
First Paving Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Spalding was the first County between Chicago and Miami on the old Dixie Highway with a concrete highway running from county line to county line. A demonstration strip, completed Jan. 30, 1919, from the city limits of Griffin to and along the front of the Georgia Experiment Station, was the first paving outside a city on the route. That same year the people of Spalding County voted a bond issue of $350,000 to complete the paved highway to the county lines in both directions. Dedication for the completed highway was held in September, 1920. County Commissioners were J. E. Wallace, chairman, C. L. Elder and W. A. Jester.

GHM 126-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

126-10