Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Fannin Avengers



Marker ID: GHM 126-15
Location: US 19 at the National Guard Armory near the airport, Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 13.555    W 084° 16.114
  33.225917    -84.268567
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GPK
The Fannin Avengers Marker  



Text:

In 1846, when President Polk called for volunteers to fight against Mexico, a company of men organized promptly in Griffin. Calling themselves "The Fannin Avengers", they marched to Columbus where the company became part of a regiment commanded by Col. Henry R. Jackson of Savannah. The regiment performed gallant service in Mexico.

The company was named in honor of Col. James W. Fannin of Twiggs County, a martyr to Texas in dependence. Tremendously outnumbered, he agreed to surrender his command to Mexican troops when assured the safety of his men would be guaranteed. Instead, he and his men were murdered at Goliad in 1836.

Officers of "The Fannin Avengers" were Captain H. J. Sargent, 1 st Lt. George D. Alexander, 2nd Lt. H. B. Holliday. Non-commissioned officers at the time the company left Griffin were 1st Sgt. F. M. Ison, 2nd Sgt. G. D. Johnson, 3rd Sgt. William F. Moore, 4th Sgt. Robert Latimer, 1 st Cpl. Alex O. Reed, 2nd Cpl. T. D. Bertody, 3rd Cpl. J os. Johnson, 4th Cpl. Ben F. Ingram.


GHM 126-15 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 2001



 

 

126-15