Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ringold Community



Marker ID: GHM 126-16
Location: Old Ga 16 about 5.5 miles east of Griffin at Ringold.
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 17.157    W 084° 9.763
  33.28595568    -84.16272092
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Ringold Community Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Older than Spalding County, Ringold Community grew around the two-story Ringold Masonic Lodge 90 building erected here in 1852. The lodge was established Oct. 31, 1849 at what became Walkers Mill (1 mi. S). First Worshipful Master was Wiley J. Heflin. Marion Patrick served as Worshipful Master for over 30 years, longer than any other one man, and his son, George W. Patrick, Sr., one of the county´s most distinguished citizens, was Worshipful Master in 1949, the 100th birthday of the lodge.

In 1860, a company of volunteers, the Ringold Rangers, was organized across the road from the lodge house. Officially designated as Company C, 13TH Georgia Infantry, it fought through the War Between the States. In 1879 Ringold Christian Church was established on lodge property across the road.

In 1922, the Mother Club, which became one of the first Home Demonstration Clubs, was founded here. First members were: President Mary Gaillard and Mesdames T. T. Henderson, Joe P. Manley, A. W. Edwards, P.P. Patrick, John Parham, W. P. Nutt, T. W. Rhodes, T. Walter Futral, J. Mitchell Walker, W. J. Burks, William S. Patrick,Grover C. Patrick, Mrs. Myrtle Sibley was home demonstration agent at the time and Tap Bennett was county agent.

GHM 126-16 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1959



 

 

126-16