Historic Markers Across Georgia



Spalding County



Marker ID: GHM 126-3
Location: Courthouse in Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 14.883    W 084° 15.738
  33.24804604    -84.26229446
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GPB
Spalding County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Spalding County was created by Act of Dec. 20, 1851 from Fayette, Henry and Pike Counties. It was named for Thomas Spalding (1774-1851), native of Frederica. One of the earliest cotton and sugar cane planters in Georgia, he was a legislator, state senator, Congressman, and member of the Constitutional Convention of 1798. First officers of Spalding County, commissioned Feb. 5, 1852, were: Addison A. Wooten, Sheriff; Henry B. Holliday, Clk. Sup. Ct.; James S. Wood, Clk. Inf. Ct.; William L. Gordon, Ord.; Elisha P. Bolton, tax Rec.; Pressley Burdett, Tax Col., Hezekiah Wheeler, Coroner; William Ellis, Surveyor.

GHM 126-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Spalding County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

126-3