Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Camp Milner



Marker ID: GHM 126-5
Location: At the Municipal Park, end of Country Club Drive, Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 14.206    W 084° 16.286
  33.23676082    -84.27143763
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Confederate Camp Milner Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Most Georgia troops for the Confederate Army were mobilized in Griffin. Camp Milner, the Cavalry Camp, was named for Ben Milner, prominent Spalding County man who gave financial aid in equipping companies from his country. Camp Stephens, the Infantry Camp, was north of Griffin on McIntosh Road. Griffin and Spalding County furnished 9 companies to the Army and several to the Georgia Militia for local service. Camp Milner became Camp Northen, named for Gov. W. J. Northen, in 1898. During the Spanish-American War it was a training camp and mobilization center for National Guard. Later a fairgrounds, its is now the Municipal Park.

GHM 126-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

126-5