Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Camp



Marker ID: GHM 126-6
Location: Old US 41 at East McIntosh Road, north edge of Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 16.655    W 084° 16.991
  33.27757658    -84.283185
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GNY
Confederate Camp Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Confederate Infantry Camp Stephens, named for Alexander H. Stephens, vice-president of Confederacy, was about ½ mile from here on McIntosh Road. Nearly all troops in the Confederate Army from Georgia were mobilized here and at the Cavalry Camp Milner, located at the present Griffin Municipal Park. The site of Camp Stephens is marked by a boulder erected by the UDC. Spalding County provided nine companies, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery, to the Confederate Army and a number of militia companies which served locally. The Spalding Grays, Co. D, 2nd Batt. Of Inf., was the first to join the Southern forces.

GHM 126 - 6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

126-6