Historic Markers Across Georgia



Spalding Grays



Marker ID: GHM 126-7
Location: US 19 at the National Guard Armory near the airport, Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 13.552    W 084° 16.119
  33.22586664    -84.26865006
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GPF
Spalding Grays Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The Spalding Grays, as Co. D. 2nd Batt. Inf., was the first military unit from Spalding County to be mustered in to the Confederate Army. It was followed by 8 regular and several militia companies. The Spalding Grays have continued through the years as a unit of the Ga. Nat. Guard, serving in war and peace, military and civil emergencies. Today it is Co. C. 48th Reconnaissance Batt., 48th Armored Div., Ga. Nat. Guard, whose headquarters are in this modern armory, completed in 1956. The only earlier military company from the county was the Fannin Avengers which served in the Mexican War and has long since passed from existence.

GHM 126 - 7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Spalding Grays
Photo by David Seibert



 

126-7