Historic Markers Across Georgia



Founding of Griffin



Marker ID: GHM 126-9
Location: North Broad Street near East 10th Street, Griffin
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 15.007    W 084° 16.071
  33.25011744    -84.26784639
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4GP5
Founding of Griffin Marker  



Text:

From a stump near the town spring, now covered by the embankment of the railroad, on June 8, 1840, Gen. Lewis Lawrence Griffin sold lots to the highest bidder, thus establishing the City of Griffin. The first lot was sold to Willaim Leake. Gen. Griffin, an early advocate of the railroad and one of the wealthiest men in Middle Georgia, was the first president of the Monroe Railroad and Banking Co. A General in the Georgia Militia, he fought in the Indian war known as the Florida Campaign and in the wars against the Creeks. He served in the State Legislature in 1829 and 1830.

GHM 126 - 9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

126-9