Historic Markers Across Georgia

Doc Holliday - County Courthouse

Marker ID:  
Location: 232 Broad Street, Griffin, GA
County: Spalding
Coordinates: N 33° 14.960    W 084° 15.631
  33.24933333    -84.26051666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Doc Holliday - County Courthouse Marker
Photo by Todd Massar


Doc Holliday
County Courthouse

Between 1852 and 1856, "Doc" Holliday's father, Henry, served is the first County Clerk for the newly created Spalding County. Prior to the Civil War, Henry Holiday owned numerous properties across Spalding County. Many of these properties were sold to fund the Holiday family's move South to Valdosta during the war. One of his properties would eventually be deeded to the Confederate Army and repurposed as a training ground for Georgia troops. Holiday's land would be renamed Camp Stephens in recognition of Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens.

Construction of this building was completed in 1860, four years after Henry Holiday resigned his position as County Clerk. However, as landowners, both Henry and "Doc" performed official business within this building.

John Henry inherited property on Solomon Street at the age of 21. According to local stories, that property would serve as the space for his dental practice. Courthouse records show "Doc" Holliday signing for the receipt and sale of this property before heading west. The sale of this property in 1873 is the last time "Doc" is documented as having visited his home town.