Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stephens County



Marker ID: GHM 127-1
Location: Courthouse in Toccoa
County: Stephens
Coordinates: N 34° 34.77    W 083° 19.843
  34.579499    -83.33071
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM13EZ
Stephens County Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature August 18, 1905, is named for Alexander Hamilton Stephens, Vice President of the Confederacy. A state legislator and Senator he was elected to Congress at 31, serving from 1843 to 1859. Elected to the Senate in 1866 he was refused his seat but again served in Congress from 1873 to `82 when he became Governor. He died March 4, 1883.
Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff W.A. Stowe, Clerk of Superior Court W.A. Bailey,
Ordinary B.P. Brown Jr., Tax Receiver M.C. Dance, Coroner Sidney Williams and Surveyor M.B. Collier.

GHM 127-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

Stephens County


 

127-1