Historic Markers Across Georgia



Eastanolee Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHS 
Location: Ga 17 at Scott Rd in Eastanolee, southeast of Toccoa
County: Stephens
Coordinates: N 34° 31.308    W 083° 14.537
  34.5218    -83.242281
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM977W
Eastanolee Baptist Church Marker  



Text:

One of the oldest churches in the Tugalo Baptist Assoc., this church was established in 1801 as Leatherwood Baptist Church on John Stonecypher property. Later, members moving to Habersham County established Leatherwood Baptist Church there. The members here continued meeting until Sept. 8, 1810 when it was constituted as Eastanollee Baptist Church with a membership of 118. Nacy Meeks was first pastor. Others were Francis Calloway, Lewis Ballard, Matthew Vandiver, John A. Davis, Barwick Chambers, David Simmons, John G. York, Marion Sewell, William Kelly, William Morton, T.G. Underwood, H.M. Barton, E.L. Sisk, Thomas Burgess, Jesse Brown, J.F. Goode, L.B. Norton, T.J. Stonecypher, J. Fulbright, W.W. Stowe, J.P. Denude, and S.E. Macomsom. The present building was dedicated in 1946 under the leadership of Ben F. Turner who was pastor from 1934 until 1959.

Sanctioned by Stephens County Historical Society



 
Eastanolee Baptist Church
Eastanolee Baptist Church


 

127-A1