Historic Markers Across Georgia



Roanoke



Marker ID: GHM 128-10
Location: Ga 39 about 2 1/2 miles south of Florence
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 3.001    W 085° 2.196
  32.05002165    -85.03660735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8W69
Roanoke Marker
Photo by Coinseekers



Text:

Roanoke, ½ miles west of here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River was originally an Indian village. Incorporated in 1832 with about 30 families, a post office and several stores, it became a thriving white settlement. Roanoke was attacked by a small band of Creek Indians, May 13, 1836. These were easily repulsed but two nights later, May 15, 1836, about 300 Creeks in a surprise attack burned the town. It was never rebuilt. Instead Florence, 2 miles above on the river, became a flourishing town and river outlet for surrounding territory. Florence was first called Liverpool.

GHM 128-10 Georgia HIstorical Commission 1956



 

 

128-10