Historic Markers Across Georgia



Methodist Camp Ground



Marker ID: GHM 128-13
Location: Ga 27 about 3 miles east of Lumpkin, GA
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 3.138    W 084° 44.517
  32.0523    -84.735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA739
Methodist Camp Ground Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

1/4 Mi. S.

On a 10 acre plot of land in the exact center of the county was located, in 1830, the first permanent Methodist Camp Meeting Ground in Stewart County. It was given by Loverd Bryan to be held and owned by the church as long as it was regularly used for Camp Meetings. For 4 years before meetings had been held in various communities in the county and each claimed the Camp Ground. A 100 foot square shed, shingle-covered, was built for meeting and tents of campers were set up around it and near the spring, which is still in use. The first Camp Meeting was held here in 1836 by Rev. Noah P. Smith, who was in charge of the circuit.

GHM 128-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION




Methodist Camp Ground
Photo by Ken Moser



 

128-13