Historic Markers Across Georgia



Masonic Female College



Marker ID: GHM 128-14
Location: US 27 North in Lumpkin, GA
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 3.169    W 084° 47.934
  32.05281666    -84.7989
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Masonic Female College Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

1 - Bi


This school, established in 1852 by members of Cross Lodge No. 12 Masons for the purpose of educating girls, was a leading educational center for 30 years. Located on land purchased from Willard and Hollis Boynton, when completed it had an endowment of $12,000. The first General Board of Directors was composed of 17 Masons from Stewart County and other sections of Georgia. Rev. Jesse H. Campbell, prominent minister and educator, was one of the founders and on the teaching staff. Destroyed by fire in 1880, it was rebuilt by popular subscription and used as a school for boys and girls.

GHM 128-14 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956




Masonic Female College
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

** BI – probably should be MI.

 

128-14