Historic Markers Across Georgia



Stewart County Academy And Masonic Building



Marker ID: GHM 128-6
Location: Ga 27 opposite the courthouse in Lumpkin, GA
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 3.057    W 084° 47.631
  32.05094523    -84.79385196
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA733
Stewart County Academy And Masonic Building Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This building was erected in 1831 in NW Lumpkin to house the `Stewart County Academy,` the first academy in the county. In 1842, it became the `Lumpkin Independent Academy` for boys only, owned by local stockholders. In 1841, the first Sunday School, interdenominational, was organized in the building. Purchased in 1885 by E.M. Sheram, the building was moved to this corner and used as a carriage factory, general store, fire station, and gasoline station. The second floor has been used continuously since 1885 as a lodge room by Cross Chapter No. 173 Masons, organized as Cross Lodge No. 12, Nov. 8, 1838.

GHM 128-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957




Stewart County Academy And Masonic Building
Photo by Ken Moser



 

128-6