Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Richland



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At Park on US 280 in Richland, GA
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 5.474    W 084° 40.061
  32.09123181    -84.66768821
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA73E
Historic Richland Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

First settled in 1827, Richland was named for the home district of several pioneer families from South Carolina. The community became a busy railroad junction when the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery and the Columbus Southern rail lines met here in 1889. Richland was incorporated in 1890. By 1913, the city had 3 banks, 3 hotels, 25 stores, guano factory, cotton seed oil mill, Coca-Coca bottling plant and other enterprises. The older part of the city is a historic district listed in the National Register of Historic Places as significant in areas of city planning, transportation, architecture and social history.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the City of Richland 1986



 

 

128-A10