Historic Markers Across Georgia



Providence United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At church, 7 mi W of Lumpkin, GA on Ga 39 Connector
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 4.278    W 84° 54.66
  32.0713    -84.735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Providence United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by William Walsh



Text:

Providence Church, when first organized, 1832-33, was a log building on the south side of the road. Two acres were donated by David Lowe for a church and school (Providence Academy). This land is now between two of the canyons. The present building was built in 1859, on the north side of the Old Lumpkin-Florence Road. Many Stewart County pioneer families are in the cemetery. Charter members were Goodes, Lowes, Worthingtons, Perkins, Kirkpatricks, Seays, Pitts, Adams, Shermans, and Pattersons.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Stewart County Historical Commission, 1980.



 

 

128-A12