Historic Markers Across Georgia



County Courthouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: At courthouse, Lumpkin, GA
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 3.054    W 084° 47.669
  32.05090134    -84.79448529
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
County Courthouse Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This handsome structure as built in 1895 in the Classical style made popular by the buildings housing the Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893-94) to which Lumpkin-born architect John Wellborn Root was a major contributor. It replaced a wooden courthouse built on the same site in 1837. The first seat of county government in 1831 was a small frame structure elsewhere on this square. In 1922 a fire destroyed the interior of the present building which was rebuilt in fire-resistent materials. Fully refurbished in 1985, the building contains county offices, the Superior Court and virtually complete county records.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Stewart County Commission, 1986



 

 

128-A6