Historic Markers Across Georgia



Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Side 2)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church and School on Old Lumpkin-Eufaula Rd. 6 miles SE of Lumpkin
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 0.47    W 84° 51.7
  32.00783333    -84.735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFTR
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Side 2) Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th century. Deacons Perry Hudson, Isaac Shorter and Lewis Cherry held the first church assembly under a brush arbor in 1886. The first church building was destroyed by a tornado c. 1919 and the second house of worship was consumed by a fire c. 1924. The congregation then moved the church to the present site which is three miles south of the original location.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friends of the Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church, School and Cemetery Complex, 2000



Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church (Side 2)
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Two sided marker

 

128-A8