Historic Markers Across Georgia



Green Grove Schoolhouse (Side 1)



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: at Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church and School on Old Lumpkin-Eufaula Rd. 6 miles SE of Lumpkin
County: Stewart
Coordinates: N 32° 0.47    W 84° 51.7
  32.00783333    -84.735
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFTK
Green Grove Schoolhouse (Side 1) Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The old schoolhouse was moved to the Green Grove community from the nearby community of Wesley Chapel and rebuilt at this site c. 1937. During the next 21 years the school produced many professionals which included a large number of teachers. The Stewart County Board of Education closed the school in 1958 and sold it to the African American trustees in the community. Green Grove was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. Today the complex continues to serve the religious, educational and cultural needs of families and friends whose lives have been shaped by the historic church and schoolhouse.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Friends of the Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church, School and Cemetery Complex, 2000



Green Grove School
Green Grove Schoolhouse (Side 1)
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Two sided marker

 

128-A9