Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Southwestern State University



Marker ID: GHM 129-10
Location: on the Campus of Georgia Southwestern State University, Americus, Ga. Americus, Ga.
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 03.418    W 084° 13.157
  32.05696666    -84.21928333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7EG3
Georgia Southwestern State University Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Georgia Southwestern State University was founded in 1906 as the Third Agricultural and Mechanical School. In 1926, The Legislature authorized the school to offer two years of college work and change the name to Third District Agricultural and Normal College. The Institution became a unit of the University System of Georgia in 1932 and changed the name to Georgia Southwestern College. In 1964, the Board of Regents authorized transition to a four - year degree granting institution. The first bachelor´s Degrees were conferred in 1968. Among distinguished alumni are former President of the United States and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jimmy Carter, former First Lady Rosalynn Carter. and former U.S. Attorney General Griffin Bell.




Georgia Southwestern State University
Photo by David Seibert



 

129-10