Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Hospitals



Marker ID: GHM 129-6
Location: Jackson St between Lamar and Forsyth Sts, Americus, GA
County: Sumter
Coordinates: N 32° 4.393    W 084° 14.037
  32.07322066    -84.23395311
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMACAY
Confederate Hospitals Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Thousands of Confederate soldiers were patients at Foard Hospital on this site between August and December 1864. Following a disastrous fire and explosion on August 31, the patients were evacuated to the homes of townspeople and to the country; later tents and temporary structures were erected on the entire eastern half of this block.


Another hospital, the Bragg, was located three blocks to the south, in the building of Furlow Masonic Female College (a portion of which is incorporated in the present Furlow Grammar School).

GHM 129-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1961




Confederate Hospitals
Photo by David Seibert



 

129-6